A chunk of years ago I started taking a month of blogging in the summer; then it was two months, and for the last few years it’s been three. It’s always been a good decision for my soul. This year, I need it more than ever. Even though in general I haven’t blogged as much this past season, and my hope of signing off June 1st slipped away with things transitioning at The Refuge. So I decided to wait a little longer. I’m glad I did so that you all knew what was happening around here. But now, it’s time. My heart is weary. June definitely wasn’t what I had planned when I was dreaming of summer a few months ago, but I am grateful to have made it through.
Now, it’s time to unplug a bit more. Get my summer on. Spend more time in the quiet. (I have already been surfing and water skiing a bunch and that–and my puppy–have carried me through so far).
I appreciate your love and prayers for me, for The Refuge. So much good will come out of this hard, I am sure of it, but the in between is always uncomfortable. I’m definitely in The Squeeze.
For those of you are just landing here, there’s 8 solid years of oh-so-many posts. If you’re interested in equality, just choose that category. Or church stuff or faith shifts or all kinds of other possibilities from the menu.
For those of you who have been reading for a long time, thank you. This space has always been a gift to me.
There are a few links to follow that I never got around to sharing here during this season if you want a few things to read or listen to during the break:
- I did a podcast with Anita Lustrea, who hosts Faith Conversations. It’s all centered on Faith Shift if you want to listen in. She’s an amazing interviewer!
- Karl and I were also on Lisa Colon Delay’s podcast–Spark My Muse–talking about Faith Circus and living in the tension of our differences and leading together. Things have changed since then in terms of role but not in terms of passion and partnership.
- I’m honored to be part of the support network that was miraculously created right after Orlando called Will Listen With Love; it’s a network of clergy, mental health providers, spiritual directors, and other community sacred-space holders willing to offer LGBQTIA support for anyone seeking it. All of the details are on the site and the Facebook Page.
- Cindy Brandt blogs at Unfundamentalist Parenting and her Facebook group–Raising Children Unfundamentalist–asked some questions about parenting and faith shifts. Here’s that post.
- Here’s a review of Faith Shift on Tessa McKnight’s blog that some of you might connect with. She also facilitates a new Facebook group called Agnostic Christians if you want to check it out.
- I write monthly for Sheloves Magazine, and here are the last few months of posts if you haven’t seen them yet:
You Can’t Go with All the Flows
Sisterhood is Not Bound by Blood
- And of course there’s Faith Circus. We finished Season One and are hoping to start Season Two later this summer but here are all the links if you haven’t listened in yet.
Episode 1 and 2 – An Evangelical and a Progressive Walk into a Church Plant Part 1 and Part 2
Episode 4 – I Don’t Like Who You Like
Episode 5 – Why Progressive Christian?
Episode 7 and 8 – How to Vote Like a Christian Part 1 and Part 2
Episode 9 and 10 – Abortion Part 1 and Part 2
Episode 11 – The Refuge 10 Year Anniversary
Episode 12 – 8 Ways to Shrink a Church
Episode 13 – Transgender Bathrooms and Facebook
Episode 14 – Narcissism and The Church
Special Edition – Our Hardest Decision in 10 Years
I always love to hear your thoughts, either here or on Facebook or email or whatever works.
Peace and hope to you this summer. I hope somehow, some way, you soak in rest and goodness and joy and beauty in the midst of whatever story you’re living.
See you in September.