my friend-i-can-always-count-on-to-make-me-laugh-and-worry-about-me-too phyllis tagged me on this meme. it is always a nice diversion from my constant church ramblings and i’ve been really blue so i thought it might be good to join in the fun and escape real life for a few minutes. it did make me laugh here and there, sort of a reminder how weird my life has been and not to take myself too seriously. thanks, phyllis. for those of you who aren’t sure what a “meme” is (i didn’t until last year, either), it is sort of like blog-tag. it’s a series of questions you answer and then tag someone else’s blog to get to know them better.
here are the rules:
a. post the rules at the beginning.
b. answer the questions about yourself.
c. tag 5 people you know and let them know in their blog comments that you tagged them so they can participate.
here are the questions:
1. what was i doing 10 years ago?
i had been living in colorado for exactly 1 year, after moving from the beach in sunny san diego when jose got out of the navy and became a pilot for united airlines. i had only had 3 kids at the time (a kindergartener, a preschooler, and a baby), we were renting a house in evergreen CO and i was beginning to adjust to my colorado life (it’s a little hard for people who don’t like to wear pants or socks or jackets). i was a true-blue-stay-at-home-mommy and was just starting to lead women’s healing groups after a long season of working my tail off on my own pain & shame & craziness. we were almost exactly one year away from finding out we were having not just baby #4 but also baby #5!
2. snacks i enjoy
boulder salt & malt vinegar chips, hands down is my favorite food. and a diet coke from mcdonald’s (they are the best for some weird reason). oh, and sugar cookies with frosting. those are my total weaknesses, especially those big pink ones at 7-11.
3. five things on my to-do list today
here are a few from the long list: (a); find the tax information jose needs so we can actually get our taxes done; (b) go to the refuge team meeting; (c) take jamison & julia to the orthodontist to see if they need braces; (d) go visit baby hunter in the hospital, a sweet little newborn from the refuge who had heart surgery while i was out of town and has been heavy on the escobars’ hearts. (e) try to get caught up on emails & phone calls since we were gone to san diego for spring break.
4. things i would do if i became a billionaire
that is so simple. i’d set up a foundation that would fund all kinds of amazing projects to empower women, men & children who are marginalized, oppressed, beat-up, tired, dream-less. i’d also help out all my favorite ministries & organizations & amazingly dedicated servants who are right on the edge of never being able to pay their bills, either. the one big splurge i think i’d do is to take the kids out of school for a couple of semesters and do a true-blue around the world trip, experiencing all the different cultures we possibly could.
5. three bad habits
- getting unbelievably sucked into what’s happening on my laptop computer and losing all track of time.
- letting piles and piles of clothes pile up before i will actually put them away.
- waiting until the very very last minute before i will put gas in the car
- talking on the phone while i am driving with no headset because mine stinks and i can’t hear out of it.
- one more: reading people’s minds, being sure i know exactly what other people are thinking even though i have absolutely no idea!
5. five places i have lived
walnut creek, CA until i was in the 4th grade….sparks, NV until i graduated from high school….malibu, CA for college….corte madera & rohnert park, CA when i worked for pacific bell & was in grad school…kingsville, TX for 3 months when we were first married…coronado, CA for 6 lovely years when jose was a navy pilot….evergreen, CO for 4 years….arvada, CO for 7 years and counting
6. jobs i have had:
high school – cashier at jimboy’s tacos, bus-girl at flakey jakes, chuck-e-cheese party coordinator, toll-free operator at spiegel catalog
college – typing business owner (how i put myself through college, this was before computers were popular and i worked on a cool brother memory typewriter for 2 bucks a page), career center peer-counselor as part of my work-study money in college (i am the best resume-formatter!)
right out of college – outside plant & design engineer (and i never had a math class beyond algebra 1-2 & geometry in high school, yeah, a little out of my league), supervisor, and communications/speech writer at the phone company as part of the accelerated management program (that’s why they put me in so many weird jobs)
before kids were born – admissions advisor at national university in san diego, owner of small stationery business that actually made a little money here and there
past few years – care pastor, adult ministry pastor, co-pastor
7. things people don’t know about me (well, some people do):
- i am afraid of birds, less than i used to be, but sitting outside where pigeons are coming near my table creates a really weird amount of anxiety for me…
- i’m a terrible, horrible, awful housekeeper
- if i could, i would go on at least one trip to somewhere i haven’t been before every month. i have the serious travel bug!
- i really love to water ski.
- i am related to abraham lincoln for real – my mom’s mom’s lineage traces right on up to good ol’ abe.
- i went to grad school to be an organizational development consultant but then had babies and ended up doing the ministry thing instead. i always wonder what life would be like if i really had originally leaned into that? (one for sure answer: more $!)
- i pretty much know all the words to “rapper’s delight”.
ps: plus, you don’t have to get tagged to play so if you’re bored and can’t think of anything else to write on your blog, try this.